Reign Dental: The Best Periodontal Treatments in Shoreline & Milton, WA
Our expert periodontists provide preventive care to help you get rid of the periodontal disease in the most comfortable environment.
What is Periodontics?
Periodontics is a highly specialized area of dentistry that treats the area "around" a tooth, including gums, bone and supporting ligaments. Most common periodontal services consist of scaling and root planning (also called "deep cleaning"), crown lengthening or adjustments, and dental implants.
For periodontal disease treatment, we have dedicated periodontal specialists (or periodontists) who can diagnose and treat periodontal disease and other related conditions.
Periodontal disease is becoming more common and can affect your ability to retain your natural teeth for years to come.
Related Blog: Periodontal Treatment- A Brief Overview
What Causes Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diseases start with the bacteria in the dental plaque. It forms when food in your mouth comes into contact with bacteria. If not treated in time, plaque can harden your gum line into tartar which allows growth of more bacteria in the mouth. It may also result in swollen gums, inflammation, bleeding gums, gingivitis and even affect tooth roots. The bacterial infection may spread and apart from gums, may also affect your jawbone if not controlled in its early phase. In a severe stage of periodontal disease tissue damage occurs which may affect your overall health.
What Are the Main Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease?
- Poor oral hygiene: Skipping brushing and flossing may promote growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Misaligned teeth: People with misaligned teeth find it difficult to clean every tooth and its surrounding area. Consult a periodontist to know the best ways to clean your teeth.
- Tobacco: Smoking and tobacco causes tartar build-up in the mouth.
- Braces and bridges: People with orthodontic appliances are more likely to develop bacteria because the food gets stuck and remains in braces or bridges inviting the growth of plaque.
- Stress: A weak immune system due to stress makes it more difficult to avert oral infections.
- Certain medications or chemotherapy: Consumption of a few commonly recommended medicines may cause dry mouth which in turn causes periodontal disease.
- Deficiency of vitamin C: Vitamin C is vital for healthy gums and teeth.
- Genetics: Genes may also play a role in certain periodontal diseases.
Who Gets Periodontal Disease?
- Some research suggests men are more likely to suffer periodontal diseases
- Smokers and people addicted to substance abuse get plaque build-up
- Older people are more prone to periodontal disease due to weaker immune systems
- Pregnant women are also susceptible to periodontal diseases
- People suffering from diabetes, leukaemia or HIV can easily get periodontal diseases
- Those who do not maintain good oral hygiene are most likely to get periodontal diseases
How Do I Know If I Have Periodontal Disease?
- Swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Red and bleeding gums
- Sensation in teeth
- Losing gums and longer teeth appearance
- Painful gums while biting or chewing food
- Development of puss between teeth
Related Blog: Periodontal Treatment: When Do You Need Dental Deep Cleaning?
But do not worry, our experts at Reign Dental can provide the best periodontal gum disease treatment with personalized care. We are among the best Milton & Shoreline Periodontic specialists.
Periodontal treatments are provided at any Reign Dental location.
Make your general dentistry or specialty Appointment for an expert periodontist in Shoreline or Milton, WA
Request An Appointment